Wednesday, 30 March 2011
Provocation
Mystified today as another salvo arrives with the post. This time, a neatly typed letter from Mrs Landlady, ostensibly formally accepting our notice, full of provocative little demands about how she expects the house to be left:
"Please would you remove the settee and any other soft furnishing but leave behind the chest of drawers and any other items of storage. I assume that you will also leave the house fully carpeted and curtained as it was when you moved in."
Arrrghh!!! For crying out loud, if the place was left in the condition it was when we moved in it would be uninhabitable. We spent our flippin' wedding present money on carpeting the place as it had been necessary to remove the disgusting collection left there. Luckily I kept some of the curtains so they can go back up!
Following this frosty little request, she goes on to say that she has contacted the builder that I arranged to do the work in the bathroom "as soon as possible after you leave and I have asked him to be in contact with you to arrange access and I am grateful to you for offering to do this." Oh YES?
Perhaps I've taken advice (come to my senses) and regrettably am unable to take any further responsibility for the house or its keys after we leave.
Grrrr! I can feel my Pluto going white hot as I write and will have to resort to much calming therapy before the day is out. What the fuck is it all about? Sooner or later this was always going to happen. In spite of having to leave a house we rather liked through no fault of our own, we are leaving the place looking as good as it can under the circumstances and most of it is massively improved. The rent has been paid in full, on time, every time, complete with a friendly note, photos etc, keeping in touch and a copy of the local paper sent every week without fail at my own expense as a gesture of appreciation.
Now she will have no personal sense of obligation - if she ever did - a bigger rent and I can't see that we have done anything to deserve the provocative attitude.
This is not the peaceful blog it started out to be, I suppose given the nature of the times it was always unlikely! What it does do is allow me to talk to myself and 'get it off my chest' so that the aggro goes no further. It would be wrong to take bad feelings out into the world or with us to our next home. Only a month to go now and Quirky House with all its own lessons and rewards will wash away this sad tale and I for one will not be sorry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

(((Hugs)))
ReplyDeleteControl freaks of the world unite, eh?
Count down the days, keep breathing through it, know that you have done no wrong - quite the contrary - and remember that other people bring their own issues to the table. You don't have to shoulder them. (Sometimes it's all easier said than done!)
My boys have come home to me after their weekend with their father with the most brutal haircuts I've ever seen - another attack which feels like a violation (of them and me). *Sigh*
Keep on keepin' on...
:-)
Alice! how lovely to see you here and thank you so much for your support. Yes it will get easier and writing always helps me to see the funny side! Looks as if the stellium is grinding gears for you - luckily hair grows fast at this time of year. Nil bastardi carborundum! Hugs back!! xxx
ReplyDelete