Isn't it odd how incidents seem to proceed with their own momentum just by the participants reacting in their own particular pattern? Here's an example : Dog and self, on the way to dig some beetroot for tea, emerge from a side lane onto the road where the afternoon migration of schoolchildren is ambling past (the general public). Four boys - twelve, thirteenish - are loitering a yard or two in front of me when a speckled wood butterfly flutters past (innocent victim). First boy instantly claps his hands wildly trying to catch it (journalist). Second boy asks 'Wotcha do that for?' (TV interviewer). Third boy walks on feigning indifference. (police officer). Fourth boy jumps around, screeching at the butterfly which is now on the ground, wings folded. He pokes it, it opens its wings, he screams and stamps on it, grinding the insect to nothing (Newspaper proprietor?). The whole incident takes seven seconds
(Butterflies by Escher)
Sorry if this upsets anyone, it just happened and I was shocked but sadly unsurprised. I promise something more pleasant later - M x
ReplyDeletethis is so cruel, hum? they say that violence is a reflex of fearful of what is unknown to us....so true!
ReplyDeletexoxo
lila
So sad, and so sorry you had to witness that. :-(
ReplyDeleteSo many emotions that I don't quite know what to put into this comment. I suppose that mostly I am incensed (as I always am) at the lack of respect for life. But I suspect that he didn't even register that it had 'life' - like kids stamping on ants. etc.
I 'feel' empathy so strongly that it is usually difficult for me to detach, to separate. (My 12th house Taurus Moon is opposite Neptune.)
Anyway on a lighter not - I hope your weekend is a happy one. x
Thanks lila and Susannah. It's not the first time I have witnessed this kind of thing and yes, there is the instinctual cruelty of some youngsters as they learn about personal power and the frailty of life but this incident seemed to be nothing other than a reaction to something flickering - like a character on a screen. They followed me for a few minutes and it seemed they had forgotten instantly...
ReplyDeleteFortunately there are a thousand better things to think of so I'm off to tend to my pea pod wine! Enjoy your weekend! M x