It was going to rain for several days according to the weather forcast so it was a priority to go to the allotment this morning to retrieve what was left of my rapidly rotting onions and shallots. They were looking wonderful a month ago but care of onions slipped down the priority list and the poppies took over - seductively as poppies do, looking harmlessly pretty and harbouring white rot in the crop below.
So I dug and delved, the weed pile growing higher and the onions emerging, unripe but mostly still healthy. It was hard work - there were lots of other jobs too and a race against the weather to pick fruit, cut lavender and chamomile, rosebuds and petals for drying, courgettes and salad and a bunch of sweet peas for a favourite Friday afternoon client. Packing it all into my ancient shopping trolley (cool!) and a rucksack, I woke up the dog and we started for home. The path is narrow, brambly and precariously runs along the riverbank with treeroots and sundry rubbish making an assault course for my tottering burden so the sound of voices was the last thing I wanted to hear. This is the territory of the disposessed and desperate - often of altered conciousness, sometimes violent so my first reaction was fear and annoyance. The voices were excited, quite young and getting closer as I approached the difficult gate with an 'eager' collie and my onions. It was then that I made a concious decision to project a really positive and accepting greeting to this unseen 'threat'. As I turned into the stony lane and approached the bridge, my 'threat' came into view - a young woman, with a shopping trolley similar to mine but full of toys, sitting on the stone bridge with her bare feet dangling inches above the water eating a pasty and chattering away to herself, earphones dangling and a huge grin across her face. Suddenly the trolley rolled easily, the dog stopped pulling on his lead and my heart was glad for this funny little moment in my busy day. We smiled and said how nice the water feels on hot feet and I knew that I was the fool.
Your writing is very evocative, Morvah. And this post reminds me a bit of the Buddhist concept...of being startled by a snake that is in fact a twig. I have definitely felt the way you describe, before! I blame my Neptune/Mars trine. Enjoy your weekend, I hope the weather is good for walking!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your kind comment Kashmiri... I have Mars sextile Neptune so mayhap you have something there! The weather continues to be absurdly autumnal - I suspect contrails....
ReplyDeleteyou are so gifted with words...such and evocative post my friend!
ReplyDeletexoxo
lila
Thanks lila, I'm inspired by yours too xxx
ReplyDeleteA beautiful piece of writing. I love the imagery that your writing evoked of you and your trolley approaching the difficult gate with an 'eager' collie and your onions. Wonderful. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Susannah, your comments are very encouraging!
ReplyDeleteI love you Mum,
ReplyDeletereading this I don't feel so far away from you.
Do you remember when we would sit by the river after shopping and dangle our feet in the water too? Probably eating cake or something.xxx
Love you too sweetheart - Almost certainly eating cake - shopping was hard work in those days gal! No farther away than a thought babes - M x
ReplyDelete